LF: Andrew Corney ZL2BBJ SK

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Andrew Corney ZL2BBJ SK
From: "Vernall" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 11:58:05 +1200
Delivery-date: Tue, 24 May 2005 00:59:15 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi all,

It is with sadness that I report the death of my friend Andrew Corney ZL2BBJ on 23 May 2005, aged 63 years.  He thought he was cured of bladder cancer following  treatment a couple of years ago.  Last August he became very ill and diagnosis was that some cancer had escaped outside his bladder and seeded in multiple parts of his body, which is a difficult situation to treat.

We each started experimenting with LF transmission 15 years ago, once amateur access to 165 - 190 kHz was granted in New Zealand.  From 1997 it made sense to team up for LF experimentation when Quartz Hill was leased by the Wellington Amateur Radio Club, as the extensive site had opportunities for much larger antennas than are possible from a suburban property.  More recently the club got special permission to use the 136 kHz band, so we concentrated on that.  While we enjoyed many LF sessions at Quartz Hill, I regard the best shared occasion as being when we completed a two-way QSO with UA0LE just before sunrise on 20 March 2004.

While Andrew can no longer physically participate, we expect he will be there in spirit when we next try working LF DX at Quartz Hill.

Bob ZL2CA