Re: LF: Graphic user interface for WOLF

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Graphic user interface for WOLF
From: [email protected]
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 18:07:03 EDT
Delivery-date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 23:09:04 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Dear Wolfgang, Stewart and LF,

thanks for this nice little program, this is fun! I started Wolf_gui two times on this computer, along with SpecLab. One instance for TX and one for RX, connected by an analog loop via the sound mixer, and including live band noise. There was instantaneous copy after 24 seconds, but I found the same problems which were mentioned by John and Hartmut:

- low audio output, but only when the audio file format was set to 8 bit,

- the RX program indeed crashed after a while. Before the crash, buffer usage was about 0.4%, afterwards it said 2919.0% - screenshot included,

- the nominal sampling rate issued to the DAC / ADC driver appears to be fixed at 8000, even if one tries to enter something like 11026.16 for the actual signal processing rate - which makes sense. Because of dependencies between different samplerates in the AC97 driver, I would however prefer to be able to set the DAC to nominal 11025 - would it be possible to let the user select the rate?

73 de Markus, DF6NM

In einer eMail vom 17.04.2005 23:06:55 Westeuropäische Sommerzeit schreibt [email protected]:

Hi Hartmut,
Thanks for the report - well I seriously doubt sending the report to MS
will help.. :o)

Before crash, can you look at the "buffer usage" indicator in the lower
right corner ?
Under normal conditions, it shouldn't go above 50 %. After the 3rd
output line, the WOLF core starts some "deep thinking" during which the
audio input is written into a large buffer. How large the buffer needs
to be, depends on the CPU speed - and up to now I have only estimated
the size from a few trial runs.

GN all,
  Wolf DL4YHF .

GIF image