Re: LF: G3AQC in ZL

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: G3AQC in ZL
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 13:38:06 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Congratulations Laurie, it has been a long haul but fascinating to see
some progress. Just another few dB would make a big difference and I
think there is still a lot of scope for improvement in Rx antennas.
Mike ZL4OL

Yes, receiving techniques still have a long way to go. In the back of my mind for development (when paid workloads permit) is a narrow beamwidth uni-directional antenna for receive. This should dramatically reduce noise levels over the conventional omni or broadly bi-directional antenna. There is also some work to be done on electrically steering the vertical angle of reception, either to boost low angle DX or to reduce high angle noise. We also need to understand the nature of the ionospheric noise that accompanies DX openings (Is it static or man-made? Is it from the ionosphere itself or just reflected by it? Does it come in at the same angle as the signals?)

Another technique waiting to be developed is pseudo-synchronous transmit and receive. By that I mean something between QRSS (which is unsynchronised) and proper synchronisation using complex techniques that have so far failed to become popular. The fact that Markus could gain information from comparing the Tx and Rx timing proves this. With QRSS60 or 120, the synchronisation error could be of the order of a few seconds!

There are probably some 6 - 10 decibels out there just waiting to be picked up!

Mike, G3XDV