[LW] Stripping magnet wire

To: [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: [LW] Stripping magnet wire
From: Andre Kesteloot <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:08:12 -0500
Sender: [email protected]
hamilton mal G3KEV wrote:
 [...]
To remove the enamel from litz wire I use paint stripper called nitromorse.
Remove all the cotton/plastic insulation from the cable end to be soldered to expose the multi strand enameled wires. Brush the end of cable with a tooth brush to separate the strands and flatten out.
Use the tooth brush to apply the paint stripper to the splayed out cable strands, making sure it gets to all the strands. Leave for about 10 minutes or more, then brush away the disolved enamel. I carry out this process twice to ensure that all enamel has been removed. The final job is to wash the exposed copper cable  end with turps etc using a cloth, then start soldering. I strip back about 1 inch of the cable end.
I have used the above procedure a number of times and it works well. Paint stripper and a tooth brush are readily available. This method is also economical on solder, no need for special tools like solder pots and bunsen burners.
Any good paint stripper would do. My contents label says the stripper contains 5 - 20 percent
Methylene dichloride, it does not say what the rest is.
Many years ago in the U.S., we could buy small bottles of "Strip-X" made by GC Electronics.
It is no longer available on the market, but I recently found such a bottle, and the stuff   _does_   remove enamel like a charm.
The contents are:
- Methylene Chloride (75-09-2)
- Phenol  (108-95-2)
- Ammonia (7664-41-7)
Proportions are not listed.

The mixture exhibits the consistency of chocolate syrup.

73
André  N4ICK