LF: Yaesu FT-897 on LF

To: RSGB LF <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Yaesu FT-897 on LF
From: Dexter McIntyre W4DEX <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:57:08 -0500
Sender: [email protected]
I recently purchased a Yeasu FT-897. This is my first new HF radio since buying a FT-101ZD about 30 years ago which still operates great. Although I hate the thought of owning a radio I can not repair I wanted a small portable that might receive well on LF. So first task was to see how well it would receive on 137 KHz. I just completed a QRSS30 Argo run and was pleasantly surprised at the results.

The capture below was started as soon as the radio was powered up. The radio was at room temperature but had not been powered in the past few days. Frequency calibration and stability is excellent! For this reception the radio was connected to a 160 meter dipole configured as a T. The capture was made right at sunset when WD2XDW and WD2XGJ are usually in a fade. No tweaking of the Argo frequency calibration was done for this capture and the Loran lines are right on. The BFO appears to be exactly 700 Hz.

http://w4dex.com/argo/ft897.jpg

W4DEX