LF: Halcyon PFS-1 off-air standard

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Halcyon PFS-1 off-air standard
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 15:15:28 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Dear LF Group,

One of the traders at the Stevenage rally a few weeks back had a stack of these frequency standards for sale - I have finally got round to looking at one, and it turns out to have some very interesting features for LF or other radio use. I don't have any technical data for these units, but it is possible to figure quite a lot out by peeking under the covers.

It consists of two parts - the receiver part has a 10MHz crystal oscillator phase-locked to the 198kHz Droitwich signal - it would be difficult to use any other signal, because the RX has a 198kHz crystal, and the synthesiser logic is inside a programmable logic IC. The unit comes with a remote ferrite rod antenna connected via 50ohm coax. There is an S-meter, and lock indicator light, which comes on within a minute or so of a signal being connected. On the back, there are 1MHz, 5MHz and 10MHz outputs from the receiver.

The other part is the actual frequency standard - it takes the 10MHz output from the receiver (or another 10MHz standard), and uses this to lock a 20MHz ovened reference (HCD71 -see http://www.hcdresearch.co.uk/71.htm ) When no 10MHz signal is present, the OCXO provides the frequency standard, which can be trimmed from the front panel. The 20MHz signal is available at the front panel "monitor" socket, but the main output is from a DDS synthesiser, which is set by a row of PCB rotary switches, which can only be accessed with the cover off. The synthesiser is interesting, because it seems to use binary-coded decimal logic instead of straightforward binary like the AD dds chips. This means the frequencies come out as exact decimal numbers, rather than the nearest binary fraction approximation, which will inevitably have a small, built-in error. The frequency can be set from 0 - 15.999... MHz in steps of only 10e-4Hz. The output starts to roll off below a few kHz. Since my LF TX has a divide-by-100 stage built in, I could use one of these standards at 13.6MHz to give tuning steps of 1 micro-hertz, should a need arise... There seem to be pads on the PCB for a connector to external switches, so I guess it woud not be hard to add a computer interface if you wanted to. The whole thing runs off a nominal 12V at several hundred of mA, so would be quite useful for portable operation, or battery back-up. It is in a 19" rack case about 45mm thick and 200mm deep.

I have the phone number of the guy who was selling these if anyone is interested - the asking price at Stevenage was 50GBP, and he said he had about 60 available at that time.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU