LF: this afternoon's beacon mode

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: this afternoon's beacon mode
From: "Dick" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:27:03 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Thanks Mal, G3KEV for reporting about receiving my test beacon this
afternoon.

I am very very happy to see that the signal was received that far away.
Best heard distance sofar.

Today I changed the simple 80cm ground rod for a 20cm x 250cm copperplate
buried
about 80cm deep into the ground.
I saw a large increase in antenna current, and at my home 2km away from the
TX-site
the signal was about 4-5dB stronger compaired to the first test on the
simple ground rod.
Tomorrow I will add two 3m long 12mm ground rods to the system, and that
should be it
for the time being.

The power I was running this afternoon was around 40Watt output to an 15m
long wire with
a flat pancake spiral coil at the top (abt 2.3m square) and 16 wires, each
around 2.5m like
an umbrella on top of the spiral. (actually the antenna EI0CF tested, as
small garden antenna)

By the way, the tower on which the spiral and wire are mounted is an metal
tower........
Certainly not the best, but it works!

I do have an bigger transmitter, output 300-400Watt or so, but it hasn't an
TX/RX relay, so
making QSO's is still complicated.
As soon as I have solved that I will be on, looking forward to work you in
"normal CW"

73 from JO32eh

Dick, PA4VHF