PCR-1000 <was RE: LF: G3AQC>

To: [email protected]
Subject: PCR-1000 <was RE: LF: G3AQC>
From: "Dave G3WCB" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 23:22:15 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Dear Pat, Les, LF,

I've been using the Icom PCR-1000 on LF for a few months, and it works
pretty well with my inverted-L antenna. It tunes down to 137 kHz OK so you
don't need a converter, but you do need a pre-amp/preselector to get the
best from the radio and suppress any birdies. I have been using the design
from G3YXM's webpage http://www.wireless.org.uk/circuits2.htm. (The one with
the two Toko coils)

The tuning is very stable and repeatable, the only slight drawback being
that you can't fit any additional narrow CW filters. This is fine for most
LF modes, ARGO etc, but if you need further filtering for audible CW, say,
you can follow it with an audio filter or use a filter program such as
Spectran.

Set the radio to 135.500 kHz USB to view the entire LF band using Spectran.

Dave G3WCB

IO91RM