LF: LM 05, Varberg longwave seminar June/July

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: LM 05, Varberg longwave seminar June/July
From: c-h walde <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 12:10:27 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi, longwave people from Carl Walde, LW 05 chairman, with my apologies for duplicate messages:

The Varberg Longwave Conference LW 05 will be held in late June/early July 2005.

The Nordic Radio Society, the Grimeton World Heritage Foundation and AerotechTelub are very pleased to confirm that the NRS/SAQ Longwave Seminar LW 05, earlier nicknamed VLF 05, will be held as announced 30 June - 2 July 2005 at Campus Varberg, Sweden. In addition, a tutorial in longwave propagation and technology will be held starting on 29 June. You may also want book the Sunday, 3 July, for participation in the Alexander Day and the rare event of on-the-air operation of SAQ, the Grimeton Alexanderson Alternator transmitter, which was declared a World Heritage in 2004.

This mail contains my introduction and a condensed version of the first invitation and call for papers. Please download the invitation and forms from the LW 05 website http://www.alexander.n.se/longwaveconference.htm which will be updated regularly.

As this is the first longwave meeting for years, we kindly ask you to forward this mail, the wider the better.

LW 05 INTRODUCTION
from chairman Carl who has been involved in the SAQ business for decades as manager of the navy telecom division and of the defence radio division in FMV, the Swedish defence materiel administration.

At the seventh Nordic HF conference HF 04 on Fårö (http://www.nordichf.org) we spread the news that SAQ, the 80-year old Grimeton VLF station, had been added to the Unesco World Heritage List. Then, an idea came up to run a long overdue longwave reunion in Varberg and SAQ. As far as we know there have not been any VLF meetings since 1992 (York and AGARD Paris).

Advance information was sent out by email and websites early Autumn 2004. We have received some but not fully reassuring interest. To keep costs within limits, two foundations will organise a lower-profile 2-3 day seminar beginning at lunchtime Thursday 30 June. The seminar will cover communications and navigation systems on ELF, VLF, LF and include a visit to Grimeton with SAQ running on dummy load. If LW 05 will turn our favourably, we will launch LW 08 as a full conference, HF 04 style.

LW 05 which will be a scientific and professional event; i. e. with a fee for taking part. By that statement I do not think that radio amateurs involved in LF are non-professionals, rather the contrary. The seminar fee will be about euro 750 including meals, excluding lodging. The fee for the tutorial will be euro 190. Post-graduate university students pay half. Family members are welcome (no pay).

For the preceding tutorial we are in the process of finding literature and lecturers, from industry too. I would like to receive suitable names. However, we will not be able to pay those a formidable fee, but good company in good surroundings, and free registration. Pse help.

PRELIMINARY SCHEDULE
Wednesday  29 June      Lunch, tutorial, seminar registration, evening free
Thursday 30 June                Tutorial/registration, lunch, sessions, exhibitors' party
Friday 1 July          Sessions, visit to SAQ, seminar dinner
Saturday  2 July                Sessions, lunch, sessions incl SAQ 80 year celebration
Sunday 3 July           Alexanderson Day

LW 05 SCOPE
The Nordic Radio Society foundation (cooperating with SNRV, the Swedish National Committee of URSI, by stimulating industry, universities and administrations to keep up their competence and work together) and the Grimeton World Heritage foundation will sponsor the first Varberg longwave seminar on radio and radionavigation systems, but not mother nature emissions such as whistlers. Topics of interest include:
-       user requirements and experience
-       interoperability issues
-       role in network centric warfare
-       propagation studies and modelling
-       interference and noise
-       modulation, coding and link control
-       network architecture and coverage
-       equipment and systems
-       software defined radio concepts
-       multimedia access and applications
-       digital broadcast (incl MF)
-       electronic warfare
-       simulation, modelling and evaluation
We emphasize the importance of contributions from users, either as experience from the operation of existing systems or as requirements for new systems. Technology is not self-sufficient; there has to be a demand from the organisations that in the end actually will operate the technology.
CALL FOR PAPERS
We look forward to your seminar contributions not later than March 24 (papers or abstracts, any formatting). Please use the Submission form.

SHOW INTEREST TO EXHIBIT AND TO RECEIVE FINAL INVITATION
by e-mail to [email protected].

OR REGISTER EARLY
Please register not later than Wednesday 8 June. Please use the Registration form (download from LW 05 mebsite).
Participants are registered in the order of invoice payment. Cancellation  conditions are stated on the registration form. No Internet registration, full signature needed, invoices and receips for credit card payment will be mailed.
LW 05 ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICE
Ms. Winnie Svensson <[email protected]>
LW 05 Secretariat
AerotechTelub
SE-351 80 VAXJO
Sweden
Phone +46 470 42119
Fax +46 470 42042
VENUE
Varberg campus is situated in the city center very close to the railway station, the Denmark ferry terminal, free parking, hotels, cafés, handicraft and art stores, swimming and spa facilities and the old fortress. Town of Varberg website is http://www.varberg.se (click Union Jack).

LODGING
We have pre-booked rooms in hotel Fregatten (the Frigate) in the campus area (+46 340 677000, fax 611121, [email protected], http://www.comforthotelfregatten.se). Refer to LW 05 for discounted rate.

The youth hostel is in the fortress  (+46 340 88788, fax 627000, [email protected], http://www.turist.varberg.se/vandrarhem). Other alternatives may be booked through the Varberg tourist office (+46 340 86800, fax 86807, [email protected], http://www.turist.varberg.se).

You had better find your lodging early, as Varberg is a popular summer town.
TRAVEL
Varberg is situated by the European highway E6, about 70 kms south of Gothenburg and about 200 kms north of Copenhagen/Kastrup/Malmö, and is also served by a car ferry from Grenå in Denmark.

Suitable airports are Halmstad, Gothenburg/Landvetter, Malmö/Sturup and Copenhagen/Kastrup.

Stopping trains go from Kastrup airport over the Sound bridge direct to Varberg; X2000 express trains run between Malmö, Halmstad, Varberg and Gothenburg.

IMPORTANT DATES
Thursday 24 March        Contributions (papers or abstracts) received
Monday 11 April Invitation with preliminary programme, authors contacted, invoicing
Friday 3 June   Full paper submission
Wednesday 8 June   Registration official stop
Wednesday 29 June     Tutorial
Thursday 30 June        Seminar opening
Sunday 3 July    Alexanderson Day

LW 05 - A MEETING POINT
Conferences are important venues where users, scientists, engineers and manufacturers meet and have the opportunity to discuss both needs and solutions. We welcome authors, participants, exhibitors and companions to Varberg, SAQ and LW 05. We will meet in an excellent conference theatre, in an interesting exhibition, in the internet café, at SAQ and in the summer resort of Varberg, well suited to you and your family.

In look forward to seeing you in Varberg and Grimeton and I wish you very welcome,

Carl Walde
LW 05 chairman