LF: <more> Dummy Loads for LF

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: <more> Dummy Loads for LF
From: "G3WCB" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:56:05 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Gary and LF,

I've been using "Dale" 50W metal-cased resistors for a dummy load. They're wire-wound but it doesn't seem to matter, and they work just fine at LF. They've got a gold anodised metal jacket with two lugs. RS Components sell them in UK. Look at VE7TIL's "Goggle-watt" dummy load, and you'll get the picture ;-)

The 50W models have a 1250 volt rating, and the 100W ones are rated at 1900 volts. I found it useful to make up my dummy load as a 50-ohm 6dB power attenuator rather than a terminating load. This was because I wanted to use my existing 25W powermeter with a 100W tx. It's also handy if you are doing "dodgy" antenna experiments, and don't want to expose your PA Fets to undue stress. Feed the PA to the antenna via the 6dB attenuator until you are happy about the match.
One final cautionary tale.... if you are using white ceramic-bodied high-wattage resistors salvaged from SMPSU's etc, be very careful as some of these contain a thermal fuse which opens at a certain temperature...so look carefully for labelling that contains references to temperature...eg "135'C" etc.

Cheers and good luck with the project.

Dave G3WCB.