LF: Re: Audio Filters

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Audio Filters
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 22:06:03 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Gary, I find there is no advantage provided there are not strong signals
on the band, which can drive the soundcard into non-linearity. As I often
use the card at "too high" a level, so that I can hear the morse on the PC
speakers, I do find a filter helps when there are others around. I am not
sure whether the audio filter has this advantage unless you are sure that
the RX is not overloading. To get round this I use the IF filter on the RX,
to say just bracket the DX window at night. Under normal conditions an audio
filter will gibe no advantage in fact it might even add noise. I have
sometimes used a notch to do the same thing, but that was some year or two
back. The ARGO FFT system is actually a series of very sharp audio filters,
after all.
I hope you didnt get too much more damage in the lastest winds.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK
[email protected]