LF: Re: Re: DI2AG 440KHz...rapid fading

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Re: DI2AG 440KHz...rapid fading
From: "J. Allen" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 04:58:59 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Alan,

Unfortunately, I was discussing two diverse things, which may or may not have explanation in Aurora.

First, what I saw on TIL's 137 signal has to have been some kind of long delay echo. The reason is that the phase of his MODULATION was visibly near 80 degrees out of phase with the second signal. It shifted toward the 180 degree mark and as it moved it had period of null. The resulting screen display was like a classroom description of multipath QSB. The signal rose in value and then slowly decreased in value.

I do not know the period of Scott's sinewave modulator, but I assume that it is something like 60 or 120 seconds. Half of even 60 is 30 seconds, and there is nothing in the small bit of radio physics familiar to me that can explain 30 seconds of time delay.

I have only seen this once, and only on Scott's 137 kHz. LF signal. After this one event, I began capturing everything I observe and erasing what I do not feel I will use.... Even this habit is changing, as some of the things erased so wantonly have been found to have been of value later to others.

Second, the DI2AG QSB or fading... I have been a very active HF operator. When Aurora rears her lovely head, I usually go out and admire her beauty. She wears many different gowns, but always wants my undivided attention, and so shuts off my radio in the circuit between my antenna and those of the people with whom I wished to speak.

When the radio goes dead, I watch Aurora wave slowly and pulse. There will be many others in the north who are familiar with these movements. I was asking if it is possible that the DI2AG fading could have been multipath, caused by one signal coming via the Auroral path, and if so, it might have been subject to a moving refractor, changing the length of the Auroral path relative to the normal signal path.

Imagine one path being a sky wave on a direct path and the second path being a wave to the nearest point of the Aurora, which is not a stationary target but one which undulates over many miles. It just happens that the conditions were right for Aurora when the fading occurred. Again, it is bad science to assume that Aurora has anything to do with it... It is just an observation, and a question.

J.