LF: Rugby Loran station

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Rugby Loran station
From: "Walter Blanchard" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 13:13:14 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
We have 136 only on a "non-interference" basis so complaints of QRM from Loran would get us absolutely nowhere. Bit more information - it's only there until BT finally closes the site totally in 2007 (in favour of building a "new town"!) and anyway it's in the wrong place as a permanent addition to the EU Loran system so it's for tests only. My personal opinion is it's a complete waste of time and money but you can't tell politicians anything! There aren't any receivers you can go out and buy and no-one's likely to make any. The transmitter itself is on loan from the French (actually a spare Megapulse unit from Lessay) who will control it from their Loran control center at Brest. Now there's something the anti-Euros could get their teeth into!
Walter G3JKV.