Re: LF: RE: Rugby Loran station

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: RE: Rugby Loran station
From: [email protected]
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 07:36:24 EST
Sender: [email protected]
In a message dated 02/11/2004 12:24:00 GMT Standard Time, [email protected] writes:
I don't think a Loran station in the central UK would be a total disaster
for LF; you could still use narrow-band modes like QRSS provided the
frequency was selected carefully, and in many locations you could get a
directional null on the Loran without eliminating all the signals you were
trying to receive, but it certainly would make life more difficult,
especially for CW operation... and especially if you are located where G3YXM
is!
I believe Derek / Stewart etc managed to phase out the Loran signals from Lessay very successfully on the 136k - 2m transponder that they have licenced.

However, filtering at the receiver is a second choice.
With luck, and much 'lobbying' during any testing phase of the Rugby Loran may result in a 136kHz notch filter being placed in line with the feeder. We would need to generate lots of individual letters and find the most appropriate person or persons to send them to.

The RSGB EMC committee would probably also get involved in this.  Perhaps a call now while the Loran is being designed would be a good preventative step?

73

David  G0MRF