LF: Re: ZL2CA pics of RN

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: ZL2CA pics of RN
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 11:27:45 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Bob congratualtions on a nice "catch". The after sunrise signal is in
line with my findings. The start of illumination of the ionosphere at 100km
altitude is about 1000km ahead (west) of the ground-level dawn, and the last
westward "reflection" that will reach the ground is from around 1000 to
1200km to the west. The early rays of the sun do seem to trigger the onset
of strong absorption but this can be delayed early in the year when the suns
rays are "weaker". There could also be a downwards tilt at the darkness edge
boosting the signal for a short while, but that is surmise. The signal from
Ed is of course at an angle to the darkness line.

It is interesting to know that the signals hold up after your dawn as there
is little mutual darkness on the path between you and western Europe. I
seems like under good conditions as at present we can, as I had hoped, live
with a little daylight at each end of the path.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK
alan.melia(at)btinternet.com