LF: Re: Static

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Static
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 21:07:16 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2004 12:06 AM
Subject: LF: Static

The theory about loop advantage over a vertical is not correct...
73 de Mal/G3KEV

Dear Mal, LF Group,

The supposed interference-rejection properties of loops are based on the fact that a loop responds mostly to the H (magnetic) field component of the electromagnetic wave. Hopefully, E (electric) fields will be rejected. But I don't think this would help a loop antenna reject QRN - the high-voltage lightning discharge will generate an E-field transient, but the kiloamps of current in the stroke will generate plently of H-field transient also. I don't know about the relative intensity of E and H fields close to the strike, but once you get several wavelengths away, the ratio E/H will be constant at 377ohms, just like every other propagating radio wave. So I don't think there is a theretical basis to expect any advantage rejecting QRN or other long-distance interference in using an E or H field antenna for reception.

Where a loop antenna might be an advantage is in rejecting local E field noise, which will not neccesarily have a corresponding H field component. This is an advantage in applications where high voltage, low current phenomena are at play, such as "precipitation static". But I think most of the local QRM experienced by us LF amateurs is largely H-field; noise currents of one sort or another flowing down mains cables, generating primarily magnetic noise fields. Certainly, I have not found that loop antennas are good at rejecting mains noise. A tuned vertical antenna might seem to be a solution, but then again, a magnetic field will be just as effective at inducing currents in the conductors of a vertical antenna as it is in a loop antenna.

Where loop RX antennas do have an advantage for noise rejection is their directional properties - if there is a faily large angle between the QRM/QRN and the signal, the loop can be positioned to null out the noise. In my case, I can null out the Loran noise from Lessay, while receiving signals from most of Europe and North America, which gives about 5 - 10dB improvement in the noise level. Also, because the loops are fairly small, it is possible to move them around to find the position where the local QRM is at a minimum - the bottom of the garden in my case. The end result for me is that loops give substantially better received signals - but they don't reduce the QRN, unless it is in the nulls of the antenna.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU