Re: LF: Ground system

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Ground system
From: [email protected]
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 17:27:37 EDT
Sender: [email protected]
In a message dated 7/17/04 8:11:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [email protected] writes:

Next to my patch there's a 150ft (50m) deep well that has dried up and the
 owner now intends to fill it in. He doesn't mind me dropping a few copper
 wires down it before he does so. Question: is this a better use of  400 ft
 of copper wire for earthing purposes than simply spreading it out along the
 ground as radials in the traditional way?

For RF purposes, no. As Rik said, it may be useful in conjunction with other earthing--if you want additional grounding of DC or 50 Hz. However, that long a run of wire, going straight down, has quite a bit of lossy soil between it and the RF from your antenna.