RE: LF: Forbidden word?

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: LF: Forbidden word?
From: "WE0H" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 16:51:49 -0500
Sender: [email protected]
That's 'cause I'm special. Ha ha ha...

Mike
WE0H
WD2XGI

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]]
On Behalf Of [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 4:36 PM
To: [email protected]

[email protected] writes:

I finally got through when I changed
 one word - that is the one that looks a bit like
 'unsubscrobe'.
 Is this a forbidden word in messages?

Depending how majordomo is set up, yes.  One of its options is a feature to
allow certain administrative tasks to be done by sending messages to the
list
by e-mail.  Majordomo watches for certain keywords to determine if it's an
administrative command.  Such a message does not go to the list members, but
is
processed by majordomo itself--IF the message also contains a password, and
if
the syntax is correct.  However, if a list member unintentionally uses one
of
the keywords, the message simply dies in transit.

In a majordomo installation, this feature is on by default.  I was surprised
when we uncovered the fact by accident on the lwca.org reflector, since it's
potential security weakness.  I suspect the manager of this reflector became
aware of it through majordomo error messages when you attempted to post
previously.  If so, he has now turned it off, because Mike WE0H managed to
post a
quote containing a couple of the keywords just a few hours after your
"Forbidden
word?" query.

73
John