LF: RE: RE: G0MRF transmitter problems- investigations (long!)

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: RE: RE: G0MRF transmitter problems- investigations (long!)
From: "Dave Pick" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 20:07:54 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Jim

Very interesting, nice to have a man who knows his onions looking over the
circuit! My original design used a piece of thick screened multicore cable
for the transformer windings, primary was the screen, secondary was the
inner cores in series. This should have given my transformer very low
leakage inductance and it worked very well (and still does on my 2kW
version) into my LPF at 200kHz, which seemed to give a happy coincidence of
resonances. Incidentally I later discovered that the Ropex used exactly the
same filter values...! I had no problems with the low voltage version using
this construction, maybe I should have stuck to it with the high voltage
version but I worried about voltage rating of the cable. I have always wondered about the decoupling of the centre tap, sometimes it
seems to help and sometimes it doesn't, all down to transformer construction
I suppose.

73
Dave G3YXM.