LF: Re: TX-ouput transformer problems--part 2

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: TX-ouput transformer problems--part 2
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 00:57:29 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Dick, I am not totally sure of the design, but I believe the transformer
does NOT resonate with the drain capacitor. I believe to work best the
circuit is close to Class-E operation The drain capacitor determines the
optimum power level. Energy stored in the drain choke should flow into the
capacitor when the FET switches off. I am not sure of the design conditions
but this is the same effect as in my single-ended Clas-E PA experiments. The
best literature on these designs is by Nathan Sokal and Fritz Raab. Nat
published a paper in QEX about 3 years ago on Class-E designs. Raab has
published papers and books on alternative configurations, bothe single ended
and push-pull. Though there are "tuned circuits" in the high efficiency
stages they are NOT resonant at the operating frequency, but usually about
10% lower in frequency !!

As to the cores I think you are on your own there as each specimen will
probably be slightly different. I think it may be better to try to find some
large (not split) toroidal cores from old switch-mode PSUs and wind these to
the reactance formula once you find how the permiability of the cores
compares with 3C89s. 70uH should be about enough for the transformer
winding. That is about 60ohm at 137kHz, and the PA drive impedance is in the
10 ohm range. The problem may be the variability.
Cheers de Alan G3NYK