LF: Long sea paths

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Long sea paths
From: "Dave Brown" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 23:10:33 +1200
Sender: [email protected]
Just a quick look at a map and the best you can do towards South America
from Calais is about 7500-8000 km. Getting a long ocean path out of Europe
is basically limited to that sort of distance, other than the 12700km down
to the Falklands.  One alternative option is to consider a path all the way
across to Panama and down through the Pacific to ZL- 'almost' a sea path all
the way! There is another 'grazing land' long sea path from ZL as far as
southwest Portugal (around Lisbon) that sneaks round the bottom of South
America and up over the Falklands.

From ZL we have about 13500 km sea paths to the east african coast, north
from Mombasa, due to the screening effect of Madagascar.  Coming south, past
the bottom of Madagascar, the great circle path into Durban is about 11300km
but grazes the Antarctic ice shelf and in the case of Quartz Hill, also
grazes down the east coast of the South Island of ZL. Awarua (RIP) would be
better-but then we know it always was!

Around the Pacific, the sea paths from ZL to virtually all the west coast of
continental north america, from Alaska as far south as Panama, are in the
vicinity of  10500 to 11000 km.

Food for thought?
73
Dave, ZL3FJ