LF: DX Propagation

To: "LF-Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: DX Propagation
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 11:34:03 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hi all (another "bore" from Alan !!)

Night-time DX possibilities continue to improve, though the signals received
by Steve Dove W3EE from DCF39 were not record-breaking. The early part of
the night showed poor levels with a lot of fading which would reduce the
chances of slow more qsos. Later at around about 0400z the signal rose to a
near record level but only for a few minutes. My monitoring of Joe VO1NA's
beacon suggested poor levels early last night, but some very strongs strings
around 0330z to 0430z and then nothing seen after about 0430z....I hope that
is not another case of wind damage for Joe.

The Solar data shows a low level of Kp over the last 4 days now, and a
slowly increasing value of the Dst index (big -ve =bad....zero or +ve
=good). There were two M-Class flares on the 18th. If these eject a CME it
will not arrive before 20th and should not affect mid-latitude paths before
the 22nd. The CME from the earlier C-Class flare will probably only strike a
glancing blow, so should not depress conditions substantially.

Hopefully all this means some good DX for Ed's expedition to eastern Russia,
which has already succeeded in putting a reliable signal down to ZL.

The full report is on
http://www.alan.melia.btinternet.co.uk/latest.htm

Cheers de Alan G3NYK
[email protected]