LF: 240GHz

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: 240GHz
From: "Walter Blanchard" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 17:48:58 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Looking at the screen grabs I must agree that they have achieved absolutely
astonishing frequency stability; as they say, 1 in 10-13. Even more so for
being the result of only a 5 MHz OCXO, ultra-stable or not, mixing with a
Gunn osc, which as John says can easily drift 1 GHz/sec at that freq. Throw
away your caesiums and forget locking to GPS, the day of the really low-cost
ultra-stable standard is with us. Looks like all those tens of millions of
dollars being spent on hydrogen masers to get only 1 in 10-14 is being
wasted. Let's hope we'll hear more about how they did it.

Walter G3JKV.

---