RE: LF: Timing GPS

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: LF: Timing GPS
From: "Talbot Andrew" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 09:35:40 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Judging by the lack of replies to this thread - there seems little interest
here.  A very great pity, as accurate GPS locked timing is the next great
improvement we could make to LF signalling.

I have been evaluating a lot of low cost GPS receiver modules recently.  The
Navman Jupiter module (available from www.tdc.co.uk for around £86) has a
very useful 10kHz output from it as well as the one pulse per second.  Using
Argo to look at this 10kHz signal multiplied up to 10MHz, I couldn't detect
any 1Hz sidebands on it.  If this is really the case, the 10kHz will
considerably simplify locked frequency sources as PLL bandwidths can
presumably be widened and lock up times reduced.  I'm a bit sceptical that
the 10kHz signal can have a significantly better short term stability than
the 1 PPS, but it is worth testing further.
Andy  G4JNT