Re: LF: lf andnoise and offshore.

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: lf andnoise and offshore.
From: "Rik Strobbe" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 15:39:01 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Peter,

At open sea QRM (man made noise) levels are likely to be low (apart from what you generate on your vessel). So I wouldn't worry about QRM. But the main advantage of /MM operation is that the loss resistance (the main factor that determines antenna efficiency at LF) is extremely low By using the steel vessel as counterweight the loss can be less than a few Ohms, at land it is in the range of 30 ... 150 Ohm at 136 kHz. Your main problem might be to make a low loss loading coil, as the loss of a typical loading coil (on 136 kHz) is in the range of 5 to 20 Ohm.

73, Rik  ON7YD