LF: Re:3C90 Al value?

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re:3C90 Al value?
From: "Hans-Albrecht Haffa" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:07:20 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear Dave,
dont calculate the AL-value, try to get out the relative permeability of the
material.
Your formula: L=n2*AL

my formula:

L=u*u°*n2*Afe/lfe

lfe is the length of the magnetic path.
Permeability constant of the vacuum: uo=4*Pi*1E-7 (V*s/A*m)
Afe: magnetic cross section in basic unit m2, i.e. 1mm2=1E-6 m2

If You know the relative permeability, than the frequency rage and the losses may be estimated. All magnetic materials with a similar permeability of Valvo - Ferroxcube - Philips and competitors are similar. I never could measure any practical difference in using N27/N67/FI322/FI324 using cores for switch mode power supplies. It is easy to reduce magnetic losses in the core, but nearly impossible to optimize winding copper. Wire thicknes (wire, Litz or copper foil) frequency, and current and of course temperature class ( 135 °C, 155°C or even 180°C) of insulation will never harmonize on 136kHz. Please note:
If You cannot reduce current density in the wire anymore, as well as reduicing
magnetization (B) of the core, than oe must magnify the surface of the core, th
omprove cooling.  Two (2) toroids stacked hav twice teh cross section, but not
thwice the surface...
More upon request.

55, Hans-Albrecht
DK 8 ND