RE: LF: Spam etc

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: LF: Spam etc
From: "John W Gould" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 22:22:38 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
If anyone is the moderator it's me folks - I started the whole thing some
years ago, and yes I am monitoring the discussion!
It's interesting to note that few apart from John and Dave have actually
asked for the config to be changed and no one as far as I can see has
answered John's call "is there anyone on the list for whom it would be a
serious inconvenience to have a little less spam to intercept".  Thus, I
take the vote as yes please, through silent assent.

I agree with John's assertion about spam filters - most of my spam comes in
via my btinternet account (it's too prominent on websites so gets harvested)
and I've cleared just under 2000 spams collected by the ISP over the last
week or so (nice to be popular and well catalogues with life improving
products and services).  After the btinternet filter about 4 to 5 spams get
through each day and are taken out by SpamNet (somewhat similar to
Mailwasher) and then 1 or 2 a day I take out manually - incidentally I
believe my Norton Virus checker took out the Paypal virus before SpamNet
could get to it!

I'll contact the reflector sysop over the weekend and again start discussing
changing the config of majordomo.  As most assert it's not much of an issue
for him, it may just give me a bit of admin at the transition.  I suspect
that even the change won't keep the spammers at bay totally, but should
usefully reduce the incidence of spam still further on the reflector.  If
during the changeover people get disconnected, check
http://www.rsgb-hfc.org.uk/download.htm which, although wrongly named in the
URL, is the 136kHz page on the RSGB HF Committee website.  If there are new
instructions for rejoining, etc., I'll post them there.

73 John, G3WKL