Re: LF: Re: GPS-locked PSK tests

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: GPS-locked PSK tests
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 11:23:53 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

As a "confidence check" of the GPS time/frequency standard stability, I monitored the phase of MSF relative to the standard's 10MHz output. MSF was received using an SPM-19 selective level meter, with the 10MHz standard driving the external reference input, and the 10kHz IF output of the SLM was compared on a 'scope with the 10MHz signal divided by 1000. This allows you to see a phase change of a few degrees. So far, over about 24 hours, there has been no overall phase change, indicating that the difference in frequency is no more than a few parts in 10^12. During daylight, there were practically no visible variations in phase, but at night, fluctuations of about +/- 10 degrees occurred over a period of several minutes, accompanied by the amplitude of the MSF signal varying over a range of about 3dB. My QTH is only about 100km from MSF, so I expect the ground wave signal largely swamps variations caused by changing sky-wave.

I think a DSP scheme like G4JNT is using is the best way of doing these phase measurements in the long run, but in the mean time, I intend to resurrect the "vectorscope" circuit I built a while back - this should also be able to remove the PSK modulation from the R4 and DLF carriers, with suitable choice of time constant.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU