LF: RE: Re: 500m drums of coax dipole

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: RE: Re: 500m drums of coax dipole
From: "Ashlock,William" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 13:30:09 -0400
Sender: <[email protected]>
David,

I hate to break the news to you but theory and loads of experimentation have
shown that the horizontal portion of a wave this long is short-circuited by
the ground surrounding the transmitting antenna. Therefore a horizontal LF
dipole is very ineffective at any practical height above ground. This why
verticals and loop antennas (mounted in the vertical plane) are used
exclusively at these frequencies. You may find, however, that your long
dipole turns the conductive portions of the soil into some kind 'ground
antenna' having a vertical component... so I wish you well. And keep us
posted!

Bill A