LF: Re: Radials

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Radials
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 09:30:41 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
The site here is surrounded by cotton woods, birches and firs. This
evening
I put out  few 1/4Y radials, Yep some 550 meters in length each, but
theyve
done nothing/zilch to probably override the lossyness of this site to
local
flora and sometime fauna, but I had to try; Still 2-3 amps is 2-3 amps,
and
Im wondering how long it is before the beacon is heard somewhere.
Laurence KL1X/WD2XDW Anchorage

This test tends to confirm that what we call "earth losses" are often not
actually due to the resistance of the earth connection, but to absorption by
vegetation, buildings and even hills. I once ran out a long radial - though
only 300m - and that did not improve my 100-ohm loss. It appears that the
site is of great importance, and there is a practical limit to the antenna
'gain' at any location. Factors such as height and ground covered by the
capacity hat are still worth improving if possible, though in many urban
areas these are limited by space and neighbours.

Mike, G3XDV
http://www.lf.thersgb.net