Re: LF: TA test again

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: TA test again
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:08:31 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear Joe, LF Group

I monitored VO1NA over 11/12th and 13/14th - missed 12/13th due to "finger trouble". On both nights I had good copy between 0100 and 0200utc, with signal levels deteriorating towards dawn - the reverse of the situation during the week, so it would certainly seem conditions have changed. Still "O" copy for an hour or so each night though.

To investigate the effect of using different dot lengths, I made a .wav file recording of the receiver audio during one of the better periods over 11/12th, and played it back through Spectrum Lab with different FFT resolutions corresponding to 3s, 10s, and 30s dot lengths, but keeping the scroll rate of the display the same. This gives a fairly good picture of how the signal would look at these different speeds. In the attachment, the top trace is "QRSS3", the middle trace "QRSS10", and the bottom trace is how it actually was at QRSS30. The correspondence is not perfect because the noise bursts are effectively compressed in time for the faster modes, but it gives a pretty good idea. The QRSS3 trace is certainly visible, but poor copy, but the QRSS10 trace is easily readable, so it looks like 10s dots should be a good choice under reasonable conditions. increasing the speed would certainly make life easier; a minimal QSO could be completed in an hour or so.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU

JPEG image