Re: LF: MMANA--plain text URL?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: MMANA--plain text URL?
From: [email protected]
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 13:06:54 EDT
Sender: <[email protected]>
In a message dated 6/11/03 7:02:18 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [email protected] writes:

Dick's message was in HTML with an embedded image.
His Eudora formatted it correctly, the reflector passed it just fine >>

That could very well be the case. AOL said there was an image, yet would not display it...as it has done in the past, even on my primitive version 4.0. :).

I would encourage folks to rethink the use of HTML email on the reflector, though. That's one of the biggest security holes on the Internet. Most email clients can be set to not automatically open an attached file (giving you a little extra time to think about it) but not all will give any options about displaying an embedded object except enable HTML/disable HTML. I don't feel comfortable enough to enable it, beyond the very limited capacity of older AOL versions...certainly not in Outlook.

Surely most of us remember the worm that spread its way among computers of several members of this group about two years ago? Although I don't believe it was ever spread through the reflector, it was one of those which used an embedded object to start execution of the code. I received copies of it several times in email from the infected computers, but thanks to not having HTML enabled, it caused no harm.

A simple file attachment for pictures is still the best solution, in my humble opinion.

Regards
John