LF: SAQ 0830, 1230z

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: SAQ 0830, 1230z
From: "Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 14:59:20 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
In the past when I have copied the SAQ transmissions it was with extra capacitance across the tuned input of my LF converter (circuit on my website somewhere!). I had long since tidied up the converter and the right capacitors were nowhere in sight. Just before the 0830 transmission I decided to have a listen anyway and had a frantic seach in the capacitor draw for a suitable sized one. These days there is no strong signal on 16kHz, but by trial and guesswork I found with 8.2nF across the air ganged tuning capacitor I could just hear SAQ - so I copied what was left of the message with my holding the cap across the terminals with my fingers!

I was out for the rest of the morning, but came up after lunch around 1215z. Out with the soldering iron and the 8.2nF cap soldered temporarily in place. SAQ was already testing! Further playing around showed I needed more capacitance, so an extra 1000pF was dabbed across, now SAQ was a good 589 signal but competing somewhat with the TV SMPSU racket. Amazing how sharp the resonances are down here - 1000pF was sufficient to move the resonance down from the 18kHz data transmission to 17kHz.

Most of the 1430 transmission copied, but there was noticeable QSB and some of the letters seemed foreshortened, making it a little hard to copy the actual text under the TV racket. I understand now there were keying problems which explained that.

Hardly in the same category as Jim's mechanical receiver (did you dig it out again?), but certainly somewhat Heath Robinson here!

Caps now unsoldered (but left in the box for next time). TV racket on 73kHz found 20 over 9, so no chance there. Certainly an early morning band before the neighbours get up!

73 Dave G3YMC

[email protected]
http://www.dsergeant.btinternet.co.uk