LF: Re: Way off subject ... and totally batty

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Way off subject ... and totally batty
From: "g3ldo" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 22:34:25 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Hugh

Has anyone else tried this with their LF/VLF receivers ?

I have put a microphone on my SLM and have been receiving bats. I used a
tiny electret condenser mic capsule on the input of the D2006, with the
usual 1.5V cell and blocking cap to power the capsule. I was able to pick
up
bat sounds up to 55kHz. There were some clicks down at 22.5kHz, and some
twitters around 45kHz. I think they are just the common or garden
Pipistrelle bats.

The first available FFT software for displaying frequency time and amplitude
that could be used with a soundcard was Spectrogram, written by R. S. Horne.
This software was originally designed for displaying the spectrum of
birdsong and different amplitudes were assigned colours.
Your bats might make some pretty pictures with this software and a
microphone directly on the soundcard.

Regards,
Peter, G3LDO

e-mail <[email protected]>