Re: LF: No LF Band in US

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: No LF Band in US
From: [email protected]
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 17:21:09 EDT
Sender: <[email protected]>
In a message dated 5/19/03 3:18:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [email protected] writes:

<< yes the FCC can, and does grant "Part 15" licenses. In fact AMRAD has held such a license to transmit on 136 kHz for several years >>

A slight typo here. I believe Andre' is referring to Part 5 of the FCC Rules and Regulations, under which the FCC issues licenses for experimental work. Part 15 covers low power, license-free operation and incidental-radiation devices. It contains the provisions under which existing US LowFERs work.

He is correct that Part 5 licensees can only communicate among stations covered by the same license. (And then, only if communication techniques are part of the authorized experimental program. A station that is authorized specifically for antenna testing, for instance, might only be allowed one-way transmission.)

We do not have anything nearly as progressive as NoV under US ham rules. The closest we have under Part 97 is Special Temporary Authorization (STA), which allows for experimentation with non-standard modes or emission characteristics, but only within an existing recognized ham band.

73
John