LF: Re: SIE? (Sudden Ionospheric Enhancement)

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: SIE? (Sudden Ionospheric Enhancement)
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 23:48:23 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Laurence I presume you mean 23May, Unless of course you are time-surfing
:-))
The strange thing is there are no flares to account for that sighting at all
on the 23rd. The X-ray level from Geos is very low (B3-Class). I found in
the past that events like that normally coincide with, at least, an M-Class
flare. C-class can cause small enhancements on more local paths. The last
C-Class was on the 22nd (a C5 just around 0700z). There was a minor geomag
storm which drove the Kp up to 5 between 0900 and 1200z, but that doesnt
normally give that kind of effect, and no increase in the proton flux.
MMMMMmmmm fascinating !!

Thanks and Cheers de Alan G3NYK
[email protected]