Re: LF: Re. Top loadoing-to short or not to short?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re. Top loadoing-to short or not to short?
From: "flo flo" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 13:01:05 -0800
Sender: <[email protected]>
Laurie thanks for yours - the tower Rohm 45 is connected to the bottom of the coil with mulitple thick copper straps - the earth mat is for 160m and consists of 110 x >40m earth radials (1.5mm job lot!) plus multiple 4mm copper to 8 x 6 foot copper/steel rods plus and underneath is chicken wire covering 300 x 100 ft area.....connection to the well housing also...it takes 9 seconds for a dropped object to produce a plop at the bottom of the well...someone with a slide rule figure how deep it is? 9.81 m/sec/sec....! Still its going to be very interesting (when/if) how much current flows in the tower....the tower and vertical 8mm2 are separated by 5 metres at the moment. Id like it to be further but the forest precludes this. The ground is clay/sand and is the result of alluvial deposits from the last ice age.

Mike W2AG (thanks Mike) has pointed out that my part 5 137Khz pending application has been assigned "WD2XDW" - but this doesnt indicate any form of approval and is a normal part of the process.

Ill do some tests when I get to see what and if I actually do get some changes with the ends/middle of the top cap when opened/shorted.. I completely agree with your max new ground covering thoughts - as you can see (or not see) from the web site photos Im covering a fair bit and will extend another wire back behind the tower too. Im getting close to having a very small coil.... Its moose calvung season so Im playing canny out there at the moment.

If my thoughts are correct we should see far better receive signal results from here this winter. Given the improvements from the that fateful day in Feb - we may be suprised what I can/see hear. Getting the array away from the ground has improved my local s/n...time will tell - I just hope the Company doesnt export me elsewhere before the sun dips

Laurence Kl1X

Hi Laurence,
I did not reply earlier on this subject since you were gettig very good
advice from others.
However there are one or two points that I should like to make which may
prove helpfull.
I agree that shorting the ends will not make any difference to the
performance of the ant. but it might reduce possible corona !
I also agree that the vert wire should be a single wire but it ought to be
as vertical as possible to keep its capacity to earth at a minimum. I notice
that the tower is quite close(although you have moved the vert wire further
away ) I think that the tower should be grounded to the very effectively to
the bottom of the loading coil ie any capacitive current should be returned
through a low loss connection to the Tx. If this is done there will be no
losses associated with the tower(or not too many ). Finally I don't know
much about your ground there but my experience is that on poor ground like
mine you should get as much wire in the air as possible " This wire does'nt
need to be in a straight line mine zig zags between trees but I always try
to cover "new" ground and recently discovered that it should be clear ground
ie no bushes etc.
Hope this all helps and look foreward to seeing a signal from KL.
73 Laurie.