Re: LF: Doppler shift

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Doppler shift
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 15:04:28 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear Rik, LF Group,

At 10:30 08/04/2003 +0200, you wrote:
A friend of mine is interested in QRSS tests on 10.1MHz (30 meter) and one of the things we are discussing is the longest useable dotlength is on that frequency. Apart from TX (and RX) stabilty doppler shift due to ionospheric refections will cause frequency instability

Based on the experience of receiving the US "Hifer" beacons on about 13.55MHz last year, doppler shift of a few Hz can be expected - sometimes the traces are blurred, or even split into 2 separate traces a few Hz apart, but QRSS3 seems to work fairly well - I suspect a dot length longer than 3s would be counter-productive due to the generally much greater doppler effects at HF, and the rapid fading.

The Hifers were often visible last summer during the night, and occasionally even audible using a dipole receiving antenna. I think they normally run a few mW into ground-plane type antennas, which is a nice demonstration of how much easier HF is!

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU