Re: LF: The Mystery - continued. Part the second.

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: The Mystery - continued. Part the second.
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 12:36:54 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear Ian, LF Group,

At 21:00 15/04/2003 +0100, you wrote:
The antenna is shunt fed against ground at the 4-8ohms o/p impedance of the
BK.

Having followed this puzzling saga for some time, I have a few questions to clarify what the situation is:

How is the loading coil connected to the ant and feeder? Is it a simple series coil connected between coax inner and antenna down lead, or a tapped coil with the cold end grounded, or something else? What is connected to the antenna ground system?

What actual antenna current do you get now? Is the stated TX output power actually being delivered to the load, or what the amplifier would give with a matched load?

On the topic of MOSFET audio PAs, virtually any amplifier of this type can become unstable with certain load impedances - particularly with loads that are capacitive at high frequencies, which mis-matched coax cables can well be. On my old audio-module based TX, I found a low-pass filter prevented this - obviously it has to be a T - network thing with a series inductor at the input, rather than the more usual pi network with a shunt capacitor. Another problem was the fall-off of power at 136kHz, caused by the limited slew rate of the input and driver stages - this can be fairly easily cured by modifying the input stage.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU