LF: Re: DX AGN

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: DX AGN
From: "g3ldo" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 21:59:23 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>

Mal said:
-------------------
RN6BN good sig at 1733 GMT and other DX about throughout the
afternoon/evening. Two YU stns plus OK and and DL plus G3LDO working YU7DP
who was using qrs 10 and LDO qrs3. YU7DP earlier using qrs3 and perfect copy
here. I worked YU7AR on normal CW , solid copy both ways. All EU stns active
are at least 559 with me on normal CW.
-------------------------

A few days ago I put out a QRS3 CQ and a station called me that I read as
YU7DW. The signal was not very stable and drifted into a Loran line, which
is why I missed the last letter. I asked the station to QSY 5HI and go
QRS10, which he did. Unfortunately, by that time conditions had worsened.
When he called me this time I guess that he felt that QRS10 would be best
although conditions were much better than before and that QRS3 would have
been fine. As the QSO was going well - if a bit slow- I decided to leave
things as they were.
On the 12th I worked RU6LA and he indicated that CW might work as the
signals were so good. I heard his signal and gave him 449 but I did not get
my report. In the meantime YU7AR called on CW and we had a QSO. All this
happened on 137.7kHz.
I had learned from previous experiance of  transmitting  the 'wrong' mode in
the designated sub band was a hanging offence so I kept quiet about it.
Quick QSYs are difficult here. We have had no rain for several weeks and
ground is drier than I have ever known it during an LF season. The result is
that the ground resistance has gone very low (around 20 ohms) and although
this has resulted in higher antenna currents the antenna tuning is very
sharp and a QSY down of 100Hz requires an antenna retune, which can't be
done from the shack

Regards,
Peter, G3LDO

e-mail <[email protected]>