Re: LF: RE: something for the weekend ??

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: RE: something for the weekend ??
From: [email protected]
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 04:32:13 EDT
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Steward, Andy and group,

I am not sure about the physics of this.

The 90deg phase shifter has to be some sort of dispersion
device (propagation time varies with frequency), and this
will operate on the fourier components of the waveform.

The fourier components present are sin(a+b) and sin(a-b),
not the complex waveform cos(a)*sin(b).

Therefore the phaseshift will apply individually to
sin(a+b) and to sin(a-b).

Can we go back to the physical device itself, and confirm
that the IF phase shifter is shifting by 90deg (as opposed to
say 270deg) and that you can select both sidebands
properly with the add/subtract?

Stewart G3YSX

Thanks for the correction, accepted ! To delay a 'broadband' signal
   cos(a) * sin(b)

by simply substituting it with
   cos(a+90°) * sin(b+90°)
was a mistake by myself; it would be ok if there wasn't that multiply thing in between ;-)

However, Andy's 2nd diagram does work, it is also shown in the ARRL handbook. Think I'll have to find my old math textbook, pre-heat the brain with a good cup o' coffe and make another attempt..

Cheers,
Wolf.