LF: DX working

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: DX working
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 18:35:30 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Another exciting weekend with some real DX to look for.

However, I think it has taught us a couple of lessons for QRSS operations of
this type:

(1) It would be very helpful if a pre-advertised DX station would say in
advance what is the shortest dot length he will use. If Argo is set to a
shorter dot length, then all that will be lost is some sensitivity. If it is
set to longer, however, all of the information is lost, even though the
station is quite strong.

(2) 137.700 is not the frequency to use for DX. It is the centre of activity
in Europe and this part of the band is very busy with stations who may not
be aware of the tests.

(3) Split frequency should be used to prevent strong Eu callers swamping the
wanted DX station. There was quite a lot of Eu activity within 1Hz (!) of
the frequency used by ZL and UA9. I suggest that the alternative slot close
to 137.77 (as used by KL1X) is used for this type of test. This is only 70Hz
away, but it is far enough unless you have local QRM.

Any comments?

Mike, G3XDV
http://www.lf.thersgb.net