LF: Early Z 14th conditions - Alaska Europe

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Early Z 14th conditions - Alaska Europe
From: "Laurence J Howell" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:29:47 -0900
Sender: <[email protected]>

Fair/Better conditions between Europe and Alaska than of late - DCF39
peaked just before 0500Z this morning with good s/n (say background local
QRM at S3 the data sig peaked S7), and little or no lightning QRM; I only
get lightning interference in my mornings here at the moment . BBCR4 on 198
shallow peaked about an hour later.

DCF39  has peaked at some 28db stronger, with same sort of s/n increase on
Jan 5/6 than those measured last night.

Ill have the receivers on tonight and over the weekend again from 0000Z
till 0730Z QRSS60 centered on 137.7735. +- 1Hz. I may pop down to the other
end of the band if I read of activity via this medium

We have a loran line at  137 772.773 from station 9990 - North Pacific
which is strongish (thanks W1TAG for the info - proves freq calibration of
the radios too!)

The 135 Khz end of the band is a lot more noisy here at the moment. Any
activity with actual freq and times can be mailed direct to my email if you
dont want to flood the reflector.

KL1X station this week
Ant - top cap, bottom 0.9mH (ish) loaded 90ft vertical(s), RX = TS870.
Largish earth radial system (as employed on 160m - still small for 137!)
and a 150ft well casing.
ground conductivity in my reckoning is poor. Antennae is in a middle of a
forest with trees to 90ft which Im sure doesn't help either - it certainly
doesn't help on 160/80m using the  s/f tower

WX foggy 0C - No snow still.

Laurence KL1X BP41 Anchorage
[email protected]