Re: LF: Eu/Alaska

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Eu/Alaska
From: "Fabian Kurz" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 13:36:53 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello,

it would probably much easier to install VNC (or one of the clones, I prefer tightVNC) on the PC which is directly connected to the receiver and then access it via the internet. VNC gives you the possibility to view the desktop of a remote PC and (with the right password) also to move the mouse/use the remote keyboard, so you could easily use all functions of ARGO (without any loss of quality) from every computer with an internet connection.. to avoid the trouble with changing IP-adresses, dyndns.org or a similar service could be used.

I have tested it here and with my internet connection speed (128 KBs upstream), it can be used comfortably when using a 640*480 screen resolution (Thats about the size of the ARGO-window).

73, Fabian dj1yfk

At 00:10 18.02.2003 -0500, you wrote:
In a message dated 2/17/03 8:25:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

(In regard to Echolink)
>> I see no reason why you couldn't connect your rcvr to one end and ARGO to
the other to create a really remote rcv site. Would allow true real time
viewing from Alaska to GB as example >>

There is at least one reason: lossy data compression.  Although the audio
quality sounds good to the ear, it is not linear PCM data.  There is spectral
manipulation, time domain manipulation, and not nearly enough bit resolution
to give ARGO or other FFT programs enough clean data to work on.

73
John