LF: Re: Re: Series loading coil

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Re: Series loading coil
From: "hamilton mal" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 18:36:36 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2002 8:27 AM
Subject: LF: Re: Series loading coil

Hello Dick, (and group)

I've wound myself a coil on a bucket, the inductance is a bit low at the moment, the whole thing resonates no lower than 250kHz at present - so I've some work still to do before I transmit. I put lots of taps in, as suggested.

But I am puzzled. In the LF Experimenters Handbook, at the end of the description of your loading coil, it says
"by short-circuiting turns at the top and bottom end, inductance can be decreased in steps of one turn." Why short-circuit the unused turns? Surely that is like having short-circuited turns on a transformer and will make the coil very lossy ?
Why not just connect the vertical part of the antenna to the appropriate tap, and leave the others open ?

73
Hugh M0WYE

Hi Hugh

I am inclined to short cct the turns not used. I did speak to an engineering consultant that builds linear amps at high powr and he says it makes little difference whether the turns are shorted or left floating. Take your pick and I dont suppose it makes a big difference which method you use.
It is probably better to avoid capacitors to resonate the coil, just use the tap that gives min SWR
and if you are using a 50 ohm tx o/p put a small series coil in series  with the bottom of the main coil to earth and tap up the coax centre conductor from the earth end to get the perfect 1:1match, the earth braid of the coax goes to earth. This method does not require any capacitor for tuning, therefore reducing any loss.
Avoid the tuning for max smoke that some suggest, FET output transistors are very vunerable using this method, plus the fact that RF metre readings are misleading using this method, they read the reflected rf as well, so it is difficult to know what RF is actually going out.
73 and gl de Mal/G3KEV

73 de Mal/G3KEV