Re: LF: 136 Friday night, Argo settings

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 136 Friday night, Argo settings
From: "John Andrews" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 08:57:54 -0500
Sender: <[email protected]>
Markus,

- I would probably prefer a lower speed: 90s-slow has the same resolution
as 60s-normal, but shows 2.8 hours in a single screenshot (allowing me to
doze away for a while without losing downloads ;-)). <

Point well taken, and it also opens up the opportunity for someone to
transmit at slower than QRSS60 speeds.

- I am usually avoiding the AGC automatic gain setting as it makes it
impossible to distinguish between reduced signal and increased noise.
Sometimes when dashes are disrupted to a pair of dots, it would help to see
whether there is a burst of QRN in the middle.<

I have used it to make things less touchy with my local noise levels, which
are both considerable and variable. Particularly on the overnight captures
when I am happily asleep, it's nice to have a little protection. I'm in a
suburban neighborhood, and it is not very quiet. I'll experiment, though. I
will definitely be recording some .WAV files for later processing.

John Andrews, W1TAG