LF: LF/HF QSO

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: LF/HF QSO
From: "hamilton mal" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 15:57:34 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
    The basic criteria for a LF/HF xband QSO is that both callsigns must be heard or seen in full at the respective ends and not just bits and pieces and not over a number of days but during the same session.The session could take minutes or in the QRS context a few hours. No QSO should be valid if contact is lost and then the next day or days later one continues with parts of the callsign that were missed at the first attempt.
Because of the QRS element taking so long to send a callsign then it would be permissible for the receiving HF station having seen only the callsign of the transmitting station in full to reply on HF at normal cw speed with callsign de callsign and give a report ie OOO then the LF transmitting station would reply with R OOO. The HF end would then send QSL 73 etc.
This is my suggestion for LF QRS 120/60/30 sec speed, at higher speeds more info could be sent by the LF station ie callsign de callsign.
IF there are a number of LF stations active there should not be any confusion because the HF end is going to call the callsign that he is hearing/seeing, have the xband qso and when finished call another that he can recognise. This is normal practice on HF dx working these days for those that do not know. The DX  station calls CQ on his freq and listens a few khz up normally for replies, there are hundreds calling at times using only their callsign, the DX station selects one at a time and gives a report, the recipient then sends a report and signs off, the DX station then continues with the next that he wants to work.
To convince those interested that a proper QSO did take place then a gram shot of the LF end taken by the HF station would be an advantage.
During last winter all my xband QSO'S on 136 khz/7025 khz  did have GRAM shots of my callsign in full at speeds from 60 - 2 sec dots. These were sent via email to me from the USA and Canadian plus a lot of other gram shots send by those listening but not transmitting from N. America and Europe.
I will be on again this year if I get time, very busy with other projects at present but do have both 73 and 136 khz available.
73 de Mal/G3KEV