LF: Coil Losses

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Coil Losses
From: "Andy talbot" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 12:12:01 -0000
Cc: [email protected]
Sender: <[email protected]>

To add to the confusion a little. Has anyone noticed the change in coil (or loop) Q that is going to occur over temperature ? By my reckonning, over the temperature reange 0 deg to 40 deg (in a shed in a hot summer) the DC copper resistance will go up by 16%. (temperature coefficient of Cu at 20 deg = 0.0039, delta R = 1.0039 ^ 40)

Assuming RF loss is only related to skin depth, and this changes as the square root of resistivity that suggests coil Q could to be 8% higher on cold winter days. I know coil losses are usually swamped by ground losses, but it may just be observable by loop owners.

Andy  G4JNT