Re: LF: M0BMU Jason Success!

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: M0BMU Jason Success!
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 12:27:39 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

Very pleased that Jason has made it across the pond - thanks to W1TAG for the reception, and also to I2PHD, I2CZL and KK7KA for the software development. The actual message was "M0BMU M0BMU JASON 95 IO91VR", repeated endlessly. I was running 1.2kW into a 13m high inverted V, giving about 5A antenna current - in the past, field strength measurements put the ERP of this set-up at almost exactly 1W. (incidentally, in last night's frost, loss/ground/system resistance was down 15% on the previous night...)

G0MRF wrote: ...Not only the first Jason reception but also the first mode other than QRSS to cross the pond. .. Not quite - nearly a year ago, several people copied my "7FSK" tests - sometimes much to their annoyance! Also, the previous year, W1TAG copied one of the WOLF tests - it seems John and myself currently have the monopoly on Transatlantic LF digital modes :-)

Regarding possible use for T/A QSOs, each character (including the spaces) lasts about 24 seconds in Jason - so the kind of minimal QSOs being discussed at the moment could be executed within 30 minutes with solid copy both ways. Of course, last night's conditions did not give perfect copy - but looking at John's screen shot, it was not actually far off doing so over at least 1 half hour period. I am confident under good conditions, Jason would be a viable 2-way transatlantic mode. A nice feature of Jason is that it is not too fussy about the frequency - assuming you are going for "blind" reception, ie. you are not adjusting the tuning in response to a received signal, I think about +/- 1Hz accuracy would be adequate to get the whole signal within the yellow lines on the Jason waterfall.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU

one day be spanned with standard CW.

How important was your ability to accurately set frequency John? Is there an acceptable margin of error with Jason 95?

73

David   G0MRF