LF: jason etc

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: jason etc
From: "hamilton mal" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 19:05:47 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Jim is an old hand with modes other than qrs for across the pond reports, like 7fsk and wolf. Whether they totally fulfilled the QSO criteria with a complete callsign I don't know. If Jason is making it across then so should normal hand sent CW as I have always predicted. Just think what could be achieved with 1200 watts, a 100 ft vertical antenna resonated on 136 khz  and a similar antenna at the receiving end instead of small loops or 3 feet active type antennas.
Most of the hundreds of USA amateurs active on 160 metres dxing have towers between 100 and 300 ft high but they do not seem to be interested in the LF area, If they were, normal CW qso's would be routine, especially during the winter period.
Go for the all mode award g/tor, p/tor,amtor, psk31 and all the others, it is possible with a good tail wind and someone with a suitable antenna at the receiving end.
Remember the predictions in the Comic not so long ago when it was said that if you got a QSO on 73 or 136  some yards or maybe a couple of miles away that was about your limit!!!!
Those of us with commercial experience in both LF and HF knew that was not the case, and it was just a question of time before amateurs would make it across the pond and beyond on LF.
I would also say that 73 khz would probably have an advantage over 136 khz given like for like, unfortunately there is not enough consistant activity on either band at present to prove the point.
Jim is probably the most consistant experimenter at present the rest of us are just stragglers!!!!
73 de Mal/G3KEV